Dotan Saguy was born in a small kibbutz five miles south of Israel’s Lebanese border. Dotan grew-up in a diverse working class Parisian suburb, lived in Lower Manhattan during 9/11 and moved to Los Angeles in 2003.
In 2015 Dotan decided to focus on his lifelong passion for photography after a successful career as a high-tech entrepreneur. Since then Dotan attended the prestigious Eddie Adams Workshop, Missouri Photo Workshop and studied photojournalism at Santa Monica College.
Dotan's award winning photographs have been published by National Geographic, The Guardian, The Los Angeles Times and many others.
Dotan teaches street photography and documentary workshops for Leica Akademie and Momenta Workshops.
In 2018 Dotan's first monograph about the endangered culture of Venice Beach, CA was published by famed German publisher Kehrer Verlag and was awarded Bronze by the prestigious Deutscher Fotobuchpreis 2018-19.
Dotan's second book is scheduled to be released by Kehrer Verlag in the spring of 2020. This new body of work documents the everyday life of a family of vehicle dwellers with their three young children on the streets of Los Angeles.
Dotan lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two children.
- Leica Akademie Venice Beach Street Photography with Dotan Saguy - March 2019
- Leica Akademie Destination Romania with Dotan Saguy - July 2019
- Eddie Adams Workshop XXIX Oct. 2016
- Missouri Photo Workshop #68 Sept. 2016
- Aline Smithson. The Next Step. Fall 2016
- Momenta Workshops Project LA: Shooting for Non-Profits. Feb. 2016
- Sport Shooters Academy XII. Nov. 2015
- Advanced Photojournalism Course (JOURN 22). Santa Monica College, Fall 2015
- Solo exhibit "Venice Beach" at Venice Arts August-September 2018 in Los Angeles, CA
- Kehrer Gallery: US BLUES featuring Paul D'Amato, Pamela Littky, Dotan Saguy, Jay Wolke
- Temple Isaiah, Los Angeles: "From Generation to Generation" Photo Exhibit. Sept. - Oct. 2016
- Hive Gallery Fine Art exhibit in downtown Los Angeles. Sept. 1 to Oct. 3 2016
- Los Angeles Center of Photography 3rd Annual Members Show. Aug. 2016.
- Los Angeles Center of Photography Street Shooting in Los Angeles Exhibition. June 18 to July 22, 2016
- 1650 Gallery, Los Angeles. Streetscapes Exhibit. June/July 2016.
- Wall Street Gallery, Los Angeles. May 2015.
Honors & Awards
- “On top of the world” juried into the 2019 International Exhibition at the Center for Photographic Art in Carmel, CA in November 2019.
- 1st place award winner at the Annual Members' Exhibition 2019 of LACP
- Deutscher Fotobuchpreis Bronze prize 2018-19
- Photolucida Critical Mass Top 50
- PDN Exposure Award 2016 - Honorable Mention
- National Geographic: Winner of “Ask a Local” Yourshot photo story. Prize: assignment with National Geographic in Seoul
- Panelist at Momenta 1-day Workshop on shooting for non-profits. August 2016
- National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year 2016 - Honorable Mention, People Category
- California College Media Awards 2016 - Best Photo Story Honorable Mention
- Journalism Association of Community Colleges Award 2016 Photo Story - 1st Place
- Los Angeles Center of Photography Member of the Month. February 2016
- International Monochrome Awards Contest 2015 Photojournalism category Honorable Mention
- Talk and book signing at the Leica Gallery Los Angeles on August 5, 2018
- The Evolution of a Street Photographer at the B&H Event Space in New York City on Nov. 21, 2016
- Cuba Changing at Open Show LA. #35 in Los Angeles on Aug. 18, 2016
- Shooting in Cuba Today at the Los Angeles Center of Photography on June 10, 2016
- Cover of BETA Magazine and 26-page portfolio in the 33rd issue
- Singapore Airlines Inflight Magazine Oct. 2016: 10-page Artist Portfolio Feature
- EnFlight.design blog interview by Hon Hoang
- Thorsten Overgaard: Interview for overgaard.dk. Oct. 2016
- PDN Pulse Blog Interview by David Walker. Sept. 2, 2016
- PDN Photo of the Day: Sept. 1, 2016
- National Geographic Ask a Local Story (5 opening images) Jul 16, 2016
- ABC News: The Changing Face of Cuba (15 images). June 2016.
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. May 24, 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Apr 12, 2016
- The Leica Meet, Selection of Excellence 2016
- National Geographic: 10+ publications in the Daily Dozen Selection in 2015 and 2016
- Leica Photography International: Picture of the Week. Week #9 2016
- National Geographic: Photo of the Day. Feb. 11 2016
- The Corsair, Weekly Print and Online Newspaper of Santa Monica College: many publications from September 2015 to November 2015