Now based in Los Angeles and California’s Sierra Nevada, Dotan was born in Israel as the son and grandson of holocaust survivors. He grew up in a modest Parisian suburb and moved to the US as a young adult. After a 20 year career in high-tech Dotan retrained as a documentary photographer. He attended the Eddie Adams Workshop, the Missouri Photo Workshop and studied photojournalism at Santa Monica College.
Dotan's photographs have been published by National Geographic, The Guardian, Los Angeles Times, etc. and exhibited by galleries in the US, Europe and Asia. Leica has prominently featured Dotan’s work in its 2021 worldwide branding campaign “The World Deserves Witnesses". Dotan teaches for Leica Akademie, Momenta Workshops and is a frequent lecturer at the B&H Event Space. He has published two monographs: Venice Beach, Kehrer Verlag 2018 and Nowhere to Go but Everywhere, Kehrer Verlag, 2020.
- Leica Akademie Venice Beach Street Photography with Dotan Saguy - September 2021
- Online Street Photography Masterclass
- Leica Akademie Venice Beach Street Photography with Dotan Saguy - March 2019
- Leica Akademie Destination Romania with Dotan Saguy - July 2019
- Eddie Adams Workshop XXIX Oct. 2016
- Missouri Photo Workshop #68 Sept. 2016
- Aline Smithson. The Next Step. Fall 2016
- Momenta Workshops Project LA: Shooting for Non-Profits. Feb. 2016
- Sport Shooters Academy XII. Nov. 2015
- Advanced Photojournalism Course (JOURN 22). Santa Monica College, Fall 2015
- Solo exhibit "Venice Beach" at Venice Arts August-September 2018 in Los Angeles, CA
- Kehrer Gallery: US BLUES featuring Paul D'Amato, Pamela Littky, Dotan Saguy, Jay Wolke
- Temple Isaiah, Los Angeles: "From Generation to Generation" Photo Exhibit. Sept. - Oct. 2016
- Hive Gallery Fine Art exhibit in downtown Los Angeles. Sept. 1 to Oct. 3 2016
- Los Angeles Center of Photography 3rd Annual Members Show. Aug. 2016.
- Los Angeles Center of Photography Street Shooting in Los Angeles Exhibition. June 18 to July 22, 2016
- 1650 Gallery, Los Angeles. Streetscapes Exhibit. June/July 2016.
- Wall Street Gallery, Los Angeles. May 2015.
Honors & Awards
- Featured prominently in Leica's 2021 worldwide branding campaign "The World Deserves Witnesses"
- “On top of the world” juried into the 2019 International Exhibition at the Center for Photographic Art in Carmel, CA in November 2019.
- 1st place award winner at the Annual Members' Exhibition 2019 of LACP
- Deutscher Fotobuchpreis Bronze prize 2018-19
- Photolucida Critical Mass Top 50
- PDN Exposure Award 2016 - Honorable Mention
- National Geographic: Winner of “Ask a Local” Yourshot photo story. Prize: assignment with National Geographic in Seoul
- Panelist at Momenta 1-day Workshop on shooting for non-profits. August 2016
- National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year 2016 - Honorable Mention, People Category
- California College Media Awards 2016 - Best Photo Story Honorable Mention
- Journalism Association of Community Colleges Award 2016 Photo Story - 1st Place
- Los Angeles Center of Photography Member of the Month. February 2016
- International Monochrome Awards Contest 2015 Photojournalism category Honorable Mention
- 10 Steps to Make Your Street Photography Stand Out, B&H Event Space, May 2021
- How to Find Your Style, B&H Event Space, Sept 2020
- Talk and book signing at the Leica Gallery Los Angeles on August 5, 2018
- From Street Photography to a Published Book, B&H Event Space, Nov 2017
- The Evolution of a Street Photographer, B&H Event Space, Nov 2016
- Cuba Changing at Open Show LA. Aug, 2016
- Shooting in Cuba Today at the Los Angeles Center of Photography. June 2016
- Nowhere to Go but Everywhere (Kehrer Verlag, 2020)
- Venice Beach, The Last Days of a Bohemian Paradise (Kehrer Verlag, 2018)
- Newsweek Japan, August 2020
- The Guardian, August 2020
- The Eye of Photography, August 2020
- Leica Fotographie International (LFI) book of the month October 2020
- Cover of BETA Magazine and 26-page portfolio in the 33rd issue
- Singapore Airlines Inflight Magazine Oct. 2016: 10-page Artist Portfolio Feature
- EnFlight.design blog interview by Hon Hoang
- Thorsten Overgaard: Interview for overgaard.dk. Oct. 2016
- PDN Pulse Blog Interview by David Walker. Sept. 2, 2016
- PDN Photo of the Day: Sept. 1, 2016
- National Geographic Ask a Local Story (5 opening images) Jul 16, 2016
- ABC News: The Changing Face of Cuba (15 images). June 2016.
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. May 24, 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Apr 12, 2016
- The Leica Meet, Selection of Excellence 2016
- National Geographic: 10+ publications in the Daily Dozen Selection in 2015 and 2016
- Leica Photography International: Picture of the Week. Week #9 2016
- National Geographic: Photo of the Day. Feb. 11 2016