Dotan Saguy was born in a small kibbutz five miles south of Israel’s Lebanese border. He grew-up in a diverse working class Parisian suburb, lived in Lower Manhattan during 9/11 and moved to Los Angeles in 2003.
In 2015 Dotan decided to focus on his lifelong passion for photography after a successful career as a high-tech entrepreneur. Since then Dotan attended the prestigious Eddie Adams Workshop, the Missouri Photo Workshop and studied photojournalism at Santa Monica College.
Dotan's award winning photographs have been published by National Geographic and many others.
Most recently, Dotan is a proud laureate of the Photolucida Critical Mass Top 50 and his first monograph about the endangered culture of Venice Beach, CA was just released by German publisher Kehrer Verlag. In 2019 Dotan will start teaching destination workshops for Leica Akademie.
Dotan is currently working on several ground-breaking long term projects including a photo documentary about the journey of people coming out of homelessness. Dotan lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two children.
- Matt Black Weekend intensive Nov. 2016
- Eddie Adams Workshop XXIX Oct. 2016
- Missouri Photo Workshop #68 Sept. 2016
- Aline Smithson. The Next Step. Fall 2016
- Momenta Workshops Project LA: Shooting for Non-Profits. Feb. 2016
- Sport Shooters Academy XII. Nov. 2015
- Advanced Photojournalism Course (JOURN 22). Santa Monica College, Fall 2015
- Leica Akademie Street Photography workshop with Matt Stuart. Jan 2015
- Temple Isaiah, Los Angeles: "From Generation to Generation" Photo Exhibit. Sept. - Oct. 2016
- Hive Gallery Fine Art exhibit in downtown Los Angeles. Sept. 1 to Oct. 3 2016
- Los Angeles Center of Photography 3rd Annual Members Show. Aug. 2016.
- Los Angeles Center of Photography Street Shooting in Los Angeles Exhibition. June 18 to July 22, 2016
- 1650 Gallery, Los Angeles. Streetscapes Exhibit. June/July 2016.
- Wall Street Gallery, Los Angeles. May 2015.
Honors & Awards
- PDN Exposure Award 2016 - Honorable Mention
- National Geographic: Winner of “Ask a Local” Yourshot photo story. Prize: assignment with National Geographic in Seoul
- Panelist at Momenta 1-day Workshop on shooting for non-profits. August 2016
- National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year 2016 - Honorable Mention, People Category
- California College Media Awards 2016 - Best Photo Story Honorable Mention
- Journalism Association of Community Colleges Award 2016 Photo Story - 1st Place
- Los Angeles Center of Photography Member of the Month. February 2016
- International Monochrome Awards Contest 2015 Photojournalism category Honorable Mention
- The Evolution of a Street Photographer at the B&H Event Space in New York City on Nov. 21, 2016
- Cuba Changing at Open Show LA. #35 in Los Angeles on Aug. 18, 2016
- Shooting in Cuba Today at the Los Angeles Center of Photography on June 10, 2016
- Singapore Airlines Inflight Magazine Oct. 2016: 10-page Artist Portfolio Feature
- EnFlight.design blog interview by Hon Hoang
- Thorsten Overgaard: Interview for overgaard.dk. Oct. 2016
- PDN Pulse Blog Interview by David Walker. Sept. 2, 2016
- PDN Photo of the Day: Sept. 1, 2016
- National Geographic Ask a Local Story (5 opening images) Jul 16, 2016
- ABC News: The Changing Face of Cuba (15 images). June 2016.
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. May 24, 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Apr 12, 2016
- The Leica Meet, Selection of Excellence 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Mar 30, 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Mar 29, 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Feb 11, 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Mar 04, 2016
- Leica Photography International: Picture of the Week. Week #9 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Feb 15, 2016
- National Geographic: Photo of the Day. Feb. 11 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Jan 26, 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Jan 12, 2016
- National Geographic Daily Dozen Selection. Dec 28, 2015
- The Corsair, Weekly Print and Online Newspaper of Santa Monica College: many publications from September 2015 to November 2015
Dotan gets asked often about gear. He'd rather talk about photography but here's a quick rundown to get the topic covered:
Cameras: Dotan's black and white work is never converted from color files. It's all shot using the Leica Monochrom in beautiful native black and white. His color work is shot with a Leica M (typ 240). Dotan favors Leica rangefinders for their simplicity and the predictability of their fully manual mode of operation.
Lenses: Dotan shoots exclusively with two prime lenses: a 35mm and a 50mm used almost equally as much. Why only two? (1) Dotan believes that limiting his focal length choices enables him to pre-visualize compositions better. (2) He has legs.